Thursday, August 26, 2010

Book Bargain Bonanza!

I love shopping at our local thrift store for books for the girls.  Not only do I always find a huge selection but the books are usually in good condition and the prices can't be beat!  I've never spent more than a dollar for a book before.

My latest trip was no exception.  I walked away with 61....yes, that's right...61 books!!  The best part was that I only spent around $40!


These aren't all the books but some of my favorite finds.  Some of them are advanced for their age but I'll set them aside for later.  I bring them out a little at a time so they always think we have new books and don't get bored of them right away.


A look at the big box of books that I got.

One of things that my husband and I want to instill in the girls is a good set of values, solid character, and healthy self-esteem.  I'm always on the lookout for books that have some sort of moral or life lesson that can be taught.

ValueTales were books published in the 70's and 80's.  There were 43 total books in the series but I only could find 23 at the thrift store. (I'm sure I could find the rest on eBay if I wanted to complete the collection.)  I seem to remember reading some of these as a kid so my mom probably still has some in her garage.  I can't say how good or bad they are because I haven't read them yet (as an adult at least).  Hopefully, they aren't too old-fashioned or too weird.



A childhood favorite of mine was The Bernstein Bears.  I was thrilled to find 8 books that talked about issues such as telling the truth, strangers, bullying and getting into fights.

More books that fit into the character/values/self-esteem theme.

Another big thing we want to teach the girls is safety preparedness.

You can never tell your kids too much that you love them.

A couple of great books for bedtime and morning story time.

Now I just have to find a place to store all of these along with the TONS of other books we already have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails